Thursday, January 10, 2008

I wish I knew how to add music to this post. Due to my unfamiliarity with this feature imagine hearing Rakim "Guess whose Back". It has been several months since I've released my fury, a new year has passed and my Giants have made it to the Divisional Playoffs. Once again I have been sickened by rap music. Some how my remote found BET this morning. The show was 106 and Park. The new joint of the day was "Crank Dat Batman" by Pop it off boyz. Not only was the song a replica of Souja Boy's "Superman", Unk's "walk it out", and some other popular southern hits the dance looks exactly like walk it out. You might say where is the story? Well, the unoriginality here is ridiculous(as in horrible), the lyrics don't exist, the video looks like they shot it themselves. I have so many issues here I can't even remember where I was going with this, but i view this video as an example of the brain washing that continues to hinder the cognitive development of our young people. Why do we listen and buy this crap. It's not music. You can't really dance to it and the lyrics make no sense. These kids are trying to make money in a positive way, but at what cost? I am officially disgusted with the music industry, namely all record labels, studios, radio stations, fans, and rappers who love to hear dumb shit for the love of money. The first thing I thought of was I am ashamed that people who don't know anything about black people see these videos and laugh. They think this is what we are all like. It's not funny. It makes me wanna hurt somebody because it doesn't seem like it will end. Just like many genre's before it maybe rap will fall off hard enough in the near future where other styles will prevail. God Bless America and Vote Obama (Chuck the deuce)

4 comments:

The Counselor said...

Crank Dat Batman? That sounds alarming! LOL.

While I'm ashamed of many of the records that make it to the top of the charts, I am more ashamed that I'm not completely innocent in this battle against "wanna be" rap. I doubt seriously that rap will fall off the face of this earth, but I agree that it certainly does not appear to be reaching a higher plateau.

I just wanna hear Nas, Talib Kwali, and other rappers who have something to say. Where are the "stories" that rap has been known for telling?

The Counz

paz y amor said...

"Eh be-be! Eh be-be! Eh be-be! Eh be-be! I'm in da club hol-lin Eh be-be" C'mon man, that shit is GENIUS! That's exactly why I turned off my radio, except for NPR and buy shit from Amazon. I realized a long time ago that black mainstream music was heading for the toilets, and I did my best to find the folks who made good music rather than let V-103 find them for me. Saul Williams, Res, Tamar Kali, Meshelle N'degeocello, Mos Def, Common, Fishbone... I could go on They're out there my man, you just have to find 'em!

Kiyotoe said...

Preachin' to the choir my brotha. Thank God for Apple and the invention of the iPod.

Thanks to them I can have all of my favorite music, white, black, puerto rican from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and don't ever have to turn on the radio if i don't want to.

But I think we (the consumer/listener) is to blame. We should have been more particular about what we bought and praised.

These days if it makes you bob your head, that's all it takes.

p.s. - don't hurt nobody.

Anonymous said...

That's why satellite radio is where it's at. XM has "The Groove" and Sirius has "Backspin" that play joints from the 80's and 90's. The good ole' days. Whenever I travel that's what I try to get in my rental car. Is it just me, or is the commercial rap fanbase getting younger & younger? And isn't the music industry just a reflection of the entertainment industry as a whole? What movies make the most money, the intelligent thought-provoking ones or the flashy ones? How many well-written critically acclaimed tv shows get cancelled cuz nobody watches them?